Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lance and Me



It's official. Lance Armstrong will be joining me for this weekend's Pan Mass Challenge. (Me and 5300 other cyclists raising money for cancer research.)

For Lance, the 192 mile ride is little more than a warm-up jaunt around the neighborhood. For the rest of us, it's a wonderful way to spend two days on our bikes, enjoying the scenery, the comraderie and supporting the mission of the PMC.

For me, the ride is a gift -- an opportunity to make new friends, see old friends, enjoy two days on the bike cheerleading for such an important cause. It is the payback for the months of training and fundrasing. One of the very special parts of the ride, for me, is the climb along the ocean in Wellfleet. When I first did the ride some 15 years ago, I struggled up this climb. Now I attack it, drawing strength from my fellow riders and the onlookers. Here's what the climb looks like from my vantage point.

I committed to raising $10,000 for cancer research this year and to pedaling the 192 miles from Wellesley to Provincetown. I will continue to share some of last year's videos with you, so that you can enjoy the sights and sounds of the ride.

I have a fabulous support team for the ride, including my wife who has been volunteering for the PMC for many years. In fact, for every two riders, there's one volunteer -- a team of more than 2,500 volunteers who help ensure that the event is successful.

And I have built a team of financial supporters over the years, several hundred people who donate $10 or more (averaging almost $150 per person). Without this second team, the PMC would be just another weekend bike ride.

I need your help to make my personal goal. Together we will raise $35 million this year for cancer research, with fully 100% of all donations going to the Jimmy Fund and the Dana Farber. 100%!

The ride starts in 4 days. I have training and fundraising to do and I appreciate your support.

Best,
Lee

To donate, please visit https://www.pmc.org/egifts/MakeADonation.asp?eGiftID=LL0033

No comments: